Luxury watchmakers always attempt to create the next best thing, both in terms of beauty and mechanics. Sometimes, this results in watches that are extremely complicated due to appearance or so many bonus features that make the watch overwhelming. Below is a list of the top ten most complicated watches for various reasons. You may find they are all overkill, or you may just be surprised at the features you like!
1. Urwerk UR 1001 Zeit: The only pocket watch to make this list, Urwerk is known for its avant garde style. Like others, this watch contains a day/night indicator, running seconds and a power reserve. Unlike the others, the Zeit’s perpertual calendar also contails 100 years and even a full 1,000 years! So for those who like to plan ahead and want a watch that lasts, this one is a mere $300,000 (that’s nothing for 1,000 years out!).
2. IWC Siderale Scafusia: While IWC creates some wonderful watches, this one is particularly hard to read. The face contains a map of the stars meant to invoke the nighttime sky. The function list is made up of sunset/rise indicators, sidereel time display and a perpetual calendar among others. Unfortunately it is difficult to take advantage of all these due to the busy face.
3. Jaeger LeCoultre Hybris Mechanica Grande: The Hybris Mechanica Grande contains a total of three faces. The third case is hidden beneath the main one, making it reversible. Besides the usual functions, Jaeger LeCoultre also added in a zodiac calendar that contains the moon phases and a perpetual calendar.
4. Fortis F-43: Fortis is known for making complicated watches, it is a popular brand among aviators. This one is the first Greenwich Mean Time watch with an alarm chronograph function. It also boasts two power reserv
5. Christophe Claret 21 Blackjack: For your favorite gambler, this watch has it all. Literally. Not only can you tell the date and time, but you can play roulette, blackjack and any dice game at a moment’s notice. A disc beneath the face rotates for roulette and by pressing a button, two miniature dice will pop out. It is a slightly busy watch with the red, greens and blacks, but you’ll never be bored.
These models are so complicated, we need to take a break….Stay tuned as our Top Ten list continues tomorrow!
Written by: Stacy McCullough